Establish the location, population, stakeholders (including the public), and a timeline that will help you achieve your goals. This is about getting your Open Source Crowd Monitoring project implemented in the right space with the right people at the right time – the WHERE, WHO and WHEN. Some considerations would include:
- Define location criteria against your goals and desired outcomes.
- Where can you best test your ideas? Establish a location
- Who will need to help you accomplish your goals? Identify your team and stakeholders. Include the public as a stakeholder but keep your communication internal at this point.
- Establish governance, ownership, roles, and responsibilities.
- When do you think you, your team and stakeholders will be ready? When do you want to test?
- Create a preliminary plan and schedule. Most likely both will change!
Now is the time to get an overview of the Technical, Spatial and Legal considerations involved in STEP 3. The Ethical aspects and interrelationships need to be taken into account before you move forward with your crowd monitoring project.